Is there a strange rotten smell wafting around your home, especially when you are running the water? Have you thought to yourself, why does my water smell like rotten eggs? If this unpleasant smell is coming from your water supply, this is likely due to an increase in sulfur bacteria. Sulfur is a chemical element often found in well water that gives off a distinct rotten egg smell. Sulfur water can not only be extremely unpleasant, but is can also be unhealthy to ingest.
Unpleasant Facts About Sulfur In Drinking Water –
- Bacteria organisms living in soil use sulfur as a food source, causing the bacteria to produce hydrogen sulfide gas. This means when you’ve reached the point of asking, why does my water smell like rotten eggs, there is already a high concentration of sulfur (you are ingesting the waste of bacteria).
- Keep in mind that sulfur is in many foods and, in moderation, it is a vital part of a healthy diet. But, when you ingest too much sulfur, this can lead to diarrhea and dehydration.
- Too much sulfur in your water can lead to staining in your sinks, toilets, and clothing. In severe cases, it can even damage your plumbing pipes.
- This rotten egg smell can cling to everything in your home.
Why Does My Hot Water Smell Like Rotten Eggs –
- Are you only noticing the egg smell when the hot water is on, this is often the result of a chemical reaction within your water heater. You can address this issue with your plumber.
If your water is treated, and you are still smelling the foul sulfur odor, the problem may lie within your water softener.
How Do I Remove Rotten Egg Smell From Well Water –
- Your water softener is designed to filter and clean your water to help prevent high concentrations of chemicals and bacteria like sulfur. We also recommend specific filters to help combat “rotten egg” water.
- The Master Fusion Series Filters/CSimplus Series Filter…READ MORE
If these softener systems and filters do not prevent the smell and all of your water is affected (hot, cold, treated, untreated), this could be a sign of a problem within your well system or in the groundwater. At this point, testing of your water should be done to determine exactly how much hydrogen sulfide, sulfate, sulfur and/or iron bacteria is present in your water, before determining your next steps.
While a strong rotten egg smell within your water is most commonly the result of the presence of sulfur in your water, there are other, more dangerous, issues that can present as a similar smell. For this reason, it is important to have your professional plumber come in to test and properly diagnose the issues within your smelly water so that we can ensure your drinking water is safe, and the correct measures are taken to remove not only the smell, but also the bacteria that is causing it. If something isn’t right with the taste, color, or smell of your water, contact Kulk’s Plumbing & Heating today for a water test (learn how to read your water test HERE) so we can find the source of the issue. If you find yourself wondering specifically, why does my water smell like rotten eggs, we can offer solutions for the presence of sulfur.