It can be hard to determine whether you need boiler repairs or a new boiler installation. If your boiler is regularly in need of repairs, making noises, or prone to breaking down, there is a good chance it may be time for a boiler replacement.
Signs You Need A New Boiler Installation:
- Your Boiler Is 10+ Years Old – The average life expectancy for a boiler is around 10 years. So, if your boiler is 10 years or older, and you are experiencing issues, it’s likely time for a new boiler installation. If your boiler is 10+ years old and still functioning (what you believe to be effectively), you may want to consider that a boiler replacement could save you up to 30% on heating bills due to efficiency.
- Shutting Off Regularly – If your gas boiler keeps turning off, this is definitely an indication that something is wrong like; pump issues, low pressure, faulty thermostats, broken parts, etc.
- Kettling – Boiler kettling gets its name from the sound a kettle makes when it boils. If you are hearing sounds that resemble a boiling tea kettle coming from your boiler, this is not a good sign. A boiler operates by heating hot water via a heat exchange. In areas with hard water, lime scale deposits can build up. Hard water has a higher proportion of calcium salts which are insoluble, causing them to settle at the bottom. Water flow is restricted causing the water to become too hot and steam, boil, and expand which causes the kettling noise.
- Leaking – Any leaks in your boiler system should be looked at by a professional right away. Water can be very damaging to your home, but carbon monoxide is also a concern with leaks (which can be deadly).
- Loss Of Pressure – A good way to spot a leak in your boiler system is if it’s losing pressure. This can often be repaired. If the loss of pressure is unrelated to a leak, then your boiler may be in serious trouble.
- No Heat Or Hot Water – If you are without heat and hot water, you already know something isn’t right. There are several reasons why this could be happening, but if this keeps occurring, or you notice a pattern, this could be a good sign of the need for a new boiler installation.
- Pilot Light Keeps Going Out – While it is pretty easy to reignite a pilot light, if this continues to happen, it could be time for a new boiler.
It’s important to perform annual boiler service to proactively maintain your system to ensure it’s working as it should, and to spot any issue before it happens. By regularly maintaining and cleaning your boiler, you can help ensure that it lasts its expected lifespan and heats your home and water effectively, and efficiently. Regular repairs and servicing can help to prevent prematurely needing to replace your boiler.